Could this be ‘Joplin Lane’, ‘Bouquet Street’ or ‘Tillyard Avenue’?

To celebrate International Women’s Day, The Australian National University is naming three streets and a teaching building after women who have made a significant impact to the University.

The only catch? We need your help to choose the final names.

Students, staff, alumni and the broader ANU community have until 4 April to cast their vote:

Our shortlist includes the first women to graduate from ANU in 1954, a prominent anthropologist best known for her research in the highlands of Papua New Guinea and the foundation leader of the National Centre for Development Studies.

There are three street names and a building name available, and the top four results from the poll will help the University determine the final names.

The shortlist was developed from suggestions from the ANU community with ANU archives helping us find the names of women from our history books that may have been overlooked in the past.

No matter how you vote, everyone on our list has made a significant contribution to ANU, and we will continue to look for other ways to recognise them on campus.

What streets and buildings are available for naming?

The ‘Teaching Building’

Our new teaching and learning building will help transform the University’s strategy for teaching as we transition from a teacher-led approach to one that fosters student-teacher and student-student collaboration. This building name is reserved for a previous academic member of staff and options in the poll will reflect this.

The ‘Laneway’

The Laneway will be home to an array of grab & go, hawker style food outlets and amazing coffee all within a vibrant atmosphere. The Laneway is situated next to Chifley Library on the lower ground floor.

‘West Loop Road

West Loop Road will run between the Culture and Events building and the ‘Laneway’, passing the new Student Hub building. It will be open to traffic and pedestrians and will cross University Avenue, creating a more open feel to Kambri.

‘North Loop Road’

‘North Loop Road’ will provide the major vehicular access into Kambri. It will connect to Barry Drive via Kingsley Street near the College of Business and Economic building, providing direct access to the 400 space car park underneath Kambri.

Who is on the shortlist?

The following women are recognised on the shortlist:

Susan Liesching was the first woman graduate from ANU in 1954. Her thesis was titled: Church and state in Australia: the background and implications of separation.

Helen Crumpston was Tasmania’s first woman law graduate and held a temporary lectureship in Modern History at Canberra University College. In 1954 she joined ANU as a Graduate Assistant providing administrative support services for postgraduate students and assisting in legislative problems.

Patricia ‘Pat’ White joined ANU as a Graduate Assistant in 1962. She was promoted to Assistant Registrar in charge of student records, holding this position until her retirement in 1981.

Maude Woolcock was a Senior Librarian at the ANU for 20 years between 1961 and 1981. She joined ANU as a Library Assistant in 1948.

Dr Germain Joplin was a Research Fellow in Department of Geophysics from 1952 and an ANU Council member from 1969. She was awarded W. R. Browne Medal in 1982.

Phyllis Hohnen is a former teacher whose community work in Canberra supported the very young and very old. She has been attributed to helping build the ANU Community.

Helen Hughes was a foundation leader of the National Centre for Development Studies – a key component of the ANU Crawford School, and was the first women director of a Centre at ANU.

Dr Joyce Fildes was an early member of academic staff at ANU and worked at the University for over 30 years. She joined the John Curtain School of Medical Research (JCSMR) in 1956 as a Research Fellow.

Patricia Tillyard is a tireless advocate for philanthropy and a significant donor to ANU. She was a suffragette and Board member of The National Council of Women, The Association of Women Graduates, the Y.W.C.A and Girl Guides Association.

Senator Dorothy Tangney was the first woman member of the Australian Senate in 1943 and served on ANU Council from 1951 to 1968. During this time she was the only woman on the Council.

Dr Marie Reay is a prominent anthropologist, best known for her research in the highlands of Papua New Guinea and the Kuma people. She was an ANU Council member from 1969.

Mary (‘Mollie’) Bouquet was an Administrative Assistant at the Canberra University College from 1956. Her duties both before and after amalgamation of the College involved the servicing of the academic board and the administration of academic staffing.

 How was the shortlist developed?

When determining the final shortlist, the ANU Naming Committee were looking for significant contributions to the University and ruled out names of people still associated with the University.

What next?

Voting closes on 4 April. After then we will tally the results with the top four names being put forward for naming the streets and teaching building.

We will use your suggestions for preferences for individual street names and building names to help us determine the final distribution of names. The teaching building name is reserved for previous academic members of staff.

Results will be published in 2018.